Friday, February 17, 2012

Cinderella stories

The fairy tale references are harder to divide up than some of the references since a lot of songs allude to multiple tales in one song. For this post, I'm focusing on the songs that only reference Cinderella. There are two or three that reference Cinderella and other fairy tales, so those will come in a later post.

To start with, I have a song I actually could not find on YouTube! Surprising, especially since it's from the Backstreet Boys. Well, you can find the lyrics here. Just a few of the lyrics that relate:
"Come to me my Cinderella
Straight to my wishing well and
You're the one I'll always cherish"

Now for songs with videos. 
"Cinderella" - Britney Spears
To go along with the music that was popular when I was in elementary school, here's a Britney Spears song titled "Cinderella," with the lyrics in the video. She compares herself to Cinderella throughout the whole song.


"Cinderella" - Cheetah Girls
Another song from my youth (geez, that sounds like I'm making myself sound old). I remember loving this movie when it came out on Disney Channel. I might have even had my best friend at the time over for a sleepover so we could watch it. I know I had the soundtrack. The video quality's not great on this one, but I figured anyone who remember the Disney Channel Original Movies of the late 1990s and early 2000s would like to reminisce.



It's one of those "Girl Power" songs that girls (like myself at the time) embrace. Here's the chorus:
I don’t wanna be like Cinderella,
Sitting in a dark, cold, dusty cellar,
Waiting for somebody to come and set me free (Come and set me free)
I don’t wanna be like someone waiting
For a handsome prince to come and save me
On I will survive
Unless somebody's on my side
Don't wanna depend on no one else.
I’d rather rescue myself.

"One Headlight" - The Wallflowers

This is a video with the lyrics, since what I watched of the actual music video wasn't really relevant. I don't see too much of a connection between Cinderella and this song, other than the mention of Cinderella in the chorus. Still, that's a reference.

"Cinderella Stay Awhile" - Michael Jackson


This song is told from the prince's point of view. It's pretty cute. All of the lyrics relate, but here's one of the verses:
"Cinderella, I just know
That the magic slipper's
Gonna to fit
Cinderella, do not go
You're my princess
I am sure of it"

"Cinderella Man" - Eminem
I'm only linking to this one here because the only versions I could find with the lyrics in them are explicit (there's an F-bomb in the first couple of lines). The title is obviously and allusion to Cinderella and the idea of the "Cinderella Man" that is synonymous with the underdog.

"Cinderfella" - Dana Dane
Last but not least, we have a song we listened to in class. As I've been doing, I'm putting my favorite last. This song is hilarious! The lyrics are really dated - nothing wrong with that, since it makes it funnier! It's an urban retelling of Cinderella where it's a young man instead of a woman (hence the title "Cinderfella").


I like the range of songs here - styles, lyrics, time periods, etc. Next up: more songs that reference the princess stories (Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, etc.), then probably the rest of the fairy tale stuff (3 Little Pigs and more general fairy tale storytelling styles).

No comments:

Post a Comment