Thursday, February 16, 2012

"Hey there, Little Red Riding Hood..."

Next group of allusions: Little Red Riding Hood. Now, I only have 3 different songs, but one - the version originated by Sam the Sham & the Pharaohs - has several covers. I won't post the videos for all of those, but I'll link to them. Anyway, here are the Red Riding Hood songs from the class list and just ones that I've found.

"Little Red Riding Hood" (also "Li'l Red Riding Hood") - originally by Sam the Sham & the Pharaohs


This song is so creepy! The sexual overtones are not very subtle. Here are some lyrics:
Hey there little red riding hood You sure are lookin' good.
You're everything that a Big Bad Wolf could want (listen to me!)
Little red riding hood I don't think little big girls should.
Go walkin' in these spooky old woods Alone.

While the lyrics are kind of icky, the tune isn't bad. Now for some covers. I like the Bowling For Soup rendition.


Another version I like is the cover by Amanda Seyfried that she probably did to promote her movie "Red Riding Hood." I like her voice, and I liked being able to find a female rendition.


And now for the links to other versions:
Voodoo Glow Skulls (a quicker one)
Ultima Thule
The Animals (ignore the dorky pic in the background of the video)
999
Smashing Pumpkins (not a huge fan of this one for some reason; also, some lyrics are improvised)
YouTube user thebrooke (another female version)

Now that all of those are out of the way, time to get to the other songs I have.

"Hungry Like the Wolf" - Duran Duran

Another song about Red Riding Hood that has creepy lyrics. Some that stood out to me:
“Stalked in the forest too close to hide
I’ll be upon you on the moonlight side”

"Start Over" - MC Frontalot


This is my favorite. The lyrics tell the story but they bring some humor into the story. My favorite lyrics come from the end.
"'little red riding hood, why you giving me grief?
bodies change as the years advance
soft features grow unkind to the glance
and hairs sprout
all of it the better for you getting in my mouth!'
'wow, it's dark in here,' says grama.
here comes the wood axe, swinging like 'yeah, y'all!'
old woman, come on back out
and lock up your door when you're lying around."

Well, that's what I've got for Little Red Riding Hood. I've definitely got "Little Red Riding Hood" stuck in my head since I listened to it eight times.

Coming soon: Cinderella, The Wizard of Oz, and more!

1 comment:

  1. I like the Bowling for Soup remake, Mollie. And "Start Over" is pretty funny--I love how he is telling the story to a child audience that we can hear in the background at times.

    Here's a song called "Little Red Riding Hood" by the Big Bopper:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6owndpRu28

    ReplyDelete