Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Goodnight Moon and Peter Pan too

So for this post, I have paired Goodnight Moon and Peter Pan, if only for the reason that one of the songs that I have references both books. Anyway, here goes:

"Peter Pan" - Patrick Wolf

The lyrics talk about the song's protagonist meeting Peter Pan. Here are a few lines:

“I was stumbling into battle
I was walking into walls
‘til I walked myself to Peter
and I let my shadows fall.
He’s a boy who never ages
Rides a goat around the lake
He’s a friends who never falters
to change my circling fate.”
I also think the singer looks quite a bit like the Disney version of Peter Pan, at least when he has red hair. the video includes pictures of both.

"Enter Sandman" - Metallica


The reference to Peter Pan comes in the line "Off to Never Never Land," which is of course where Peter Pan lives.

"Fly" - Blind Guardian

This one has a bunch of lines that refer to the book, but one of these references is "The second one to the right/ And then straight on till morning light." It references the way to get to Never Never Land.

"Godspeed (Sweet Dreams)" - Dixie Chicks


Here is the song that references both Goodnight Moon and Peter Pan. The song sounds a little sad, and that's what the YouTube commenters connected with. Lots of people who either miscarried or lost children at a very young age seem to be taking this song as a way to say good-bye, but it's more generally about putting a child to bed. Anyway, here are some lyrics:

Dragon tales and the "water is wide"
Pirate's sail and lost boys fly
Fish bite moonbeams every night
And I love you

The rocket racer's all tuckered out
Superman's in pajamas on the couch
Goodnight moon, will find the mouse
And I love you


"Goodnight Moon" - Shivaree

The title is obviously an allusion to the book, and the lyrics reference it as well.
Well goodnight moon
I want the sun
If it's not here soon
I might be done
No it won't be too soon 'til I say
Goodnight moon


"Goodnight Moon" - Go Radio



The title again makes it clear what book the band is referring to. Here are some relevant lines:
“Goodnight Moon and goodnight you,
Like a passage from Goodnight Moon.”

"Goodnight Moon" - Said the Whale

Yet again we have a song called "Goodnight Moon" after the book. In this song, the lyrics echo the style of Goodnight Moon where the protagonist of the song says goodnight to some of the things around him.
I said goodnight to the moon
I said goodnight to the mush
A red balloon
And a great green room
And a brush


Well, that's it for Goodnight Moon and Peter Pan. As always, let me know if you know any more songs that pertain to either title.

No comments:

Post a Comment