Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Shakespearean references

This post will be relatively short, since I don't have many songs that reference Shakespeare's works. I guess Shakespeare technically isn't children's literature, but it is taught in high schools and it's found even in children's culture (like the movie Gnomeo & Juliet, for example), so it's relevant. There are a ton of songs out there that reference Romeo & Juliet, so I only have the two that came up in class. I also have some other stuff. Let's get the other stuff out of the way first.

"Shakespeare" - Miranda Cosgrove


So from what I get out of the lyrics, this only references Shakespeare in the title and the mention of Shakespeare in the chorus. It's just about a girl who's in love at first sight with some guy and she wants to learn something about him - "do you like Shakespeare, Jeff Buckley, watching movies on a Sunday?..." I only found it when trying to find more Shakespeare references. There were a few where Shakespeare himself is mentioned but not any specific plays.

"The Island: Come & See" - The Decemberists

So this song was mentioned for its reference to The Tempest. I've never read it, but the lyrics do reference a storm, which is the one thing I know about The Tempest.


"Love Story" - Taylor Swift

I promise, this is the last time she will be mentioned on this blog if I can help it! Anyway, she makes many references as to how her character is Juliet and the boy is Romeo since they have a forbidden love ("And my daddy said, ‘stay away from Juliet’"). However, this song ends with a wedding instead of the death of the young lovers. Oh, and the few seconds I saw of the video in order to put it in my list of links includes a bunch of shots of Taylor in a princess dress.

"Check Yes Juliet" - We The Kings


Here's a song that at least I find more tolerable. It's a catchy tune. Anyway, the title references Juliet, and it's about another forbidden, or at least discouraged, love. Here's the second verse:
“Check yes Juliet
I'll be waiting
Wishing wanting yours for the taking
Just sneak out and don't tell a soul goodbye
Check yes Juliet
Here's the countdown:
3,2,1 you fall in my arms now
They can change the locks, don't let them change your mind” 

Oh, and the look on the mom's face when she sees the lovers running away is funny to me.


Well, those are the few Shakespeare songs I have. There are more, but I won't be devoting any more time to them because they are only loosely considered children's literature, at least in my mind. Anyway, more children's stuff to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment