Tuesday, March 27, 2012

We're off to see the Wizard...

Next up is a classic: L Frank Baum's The Wizard of Oz. I've got a few songs that reference the book, though they could actually be referencing the movie since it's still prevalent in American pop culture after several decades. Even if the movie is what's being referenced, it's still relevant to childhood since many people watched it first as children. My mom tells me how I used to watch The Wizard of Oz at least 3 times every day when I was a toddler! So it's at least a major part of my childhood. Anyway, I've got some songs that reference the book or movie, as well as one song I selected from the movie (it's hard to pick just one!) and a couple from Wicked, which is a musical based on an adult novel that's a prequel to The Wizard of Oz. That might be straying a bit from the general purpose of this blog, but I love Wicked so I just had to include it!

"Home" - Breaking Benjamin


The video pairs the song with original film clips. A ton of the lyrics reference The Wizard of Oz, so here are just a sampling:
"'Cause I'm gonna get you
And your little dog too
There's a yellow brick road
That we follow back home
'Cause I know you can't wait
Your belligerent hate
There's no place like home
There's no place like home
Like home"

 "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" - Elton John


The title obviously references the Yellow Brick Road from the story, and that's one of the lines in the chorus.

"Tin Man" - America


The title alludes to the Tin Man, and here are a couple of lyrics that mention him:

“Oz never did give nothing to the tin man
that he didn’t, didn’t already have”

"Yellow Brick Road" - Eminem
I'm linking to this instead of embedding because there are some profanities. The song tells Eminem's life story pretty much, and he uses the Yellow Brick Road as a motif for his journey. Here's the chorus:"So lets go back
Follow the yellow brick road as we go on another episode
Journey with me as I take you through this nifty little place
I once used to call home sweet home"

"Wizard of Oz" - Toy-Box

The lyrics all relate The Wizard of Oz, telling the story of someone who wants to be a "very special girl, like in the Wizard of Oz." Warning: lots of auto-tune and annoying voices!

"Over the Rainbow" - Judy Garland


It's probably the most obvious song to pick from the movie, but I went with it because it relates to a book we read for class: Will Grayson, Will Grayson. It's Tiny Cooper's least favorite song. This one's for you, Tiny! :)

I have a couple of videos with songs from Wicked. I love this musical! I've been listening to it for years and just saw it in December for the first time. Both videos feature the originals for Elphaba and Galinda, Idina Menzel and Kristin Chenoweth respectively. If you don't know the story of Wicked, look into Gregory Maguire's book (kind of boring) or the musical, which will be in East Lansing in June if you're in Michigan. Now, on to the music!

"Popular"

The video quality isn't great, but it's worth watching because Kristin Chenoweth is amazing. The song is really funny too.

"Defying Gravity"
I'm really sad that I can't embed this one. Go watch it anyway! The clip is from the Tony Awards. Idina Menzel is fantastic. This song is the one people probably think of when they think of Wicked, and it has been on Glee. Glee- and Wicked-related fun fact: Rachel (Lea Michele) is one of the characters who sings "Defying Gravity," and her birth mother on the show is played by Idina Menzel, who I mentioned was the original Elphaba!

That is what I have for songs relating to the Wizard of Oz universe. Lots more music to come!

1 comment:

  1. Dang, I only know the old songs. My back hurts and my bunions are bothering me due to this realization.

    ReplyDelete