Sunday, March 25, 2012

Who's afraid of the Big Bad Wolf?

Sorry for the really long hiatus. But I'm back now! As you can probably tell about the title, this post is all about songs that have to do with wolves. There were already some in the Red Riding Hood post, but these are either references to the Three Little Pigs or just general references to wolves in fairy tales.

B*Witched - C'est La Vie


The lead-up to the chorus of this song has some pretty clear references to the Big Bad Wolf from the 3 Little Pigs. Here are some of the lyrics:

“Gotta let me in, hey, hey, hey
Let the fun begin hey
I’m the wolf today, hey, hey, hey
I’ll huff I’ll puff
I’ll huff I’ll puff and blow you away

"Who's Afraid of the Big, Bad Wolf?" - Henry Hall

This one is from 1933, and it was used in a Disney short. It's probably familiar to a lot of people because it's Disney. I remember they used to show the old Disney cartoons on Disney Channel, so that's probably where I saw the short and heard the song. I'm noComposet really sure if they still show the old Disney clips, though.

"3 Little Pigs" - Green Jelly


This is a modernized version of the Three Little Pigs, with references to Orange County, a Harley, and marijuana. (I read it on Wikipedia, but the lyrics about the 2nd pig originally referenced "smoking" instead of "soaking" in the sun. The video wasn't changed, so the 2nd pig still looks like a smoker and is seen with a joint.) The video is claymation, so it looks like it's for children, but it's not. Rambo also makes an appearance at the violent end of the clip.

"You're a Wolf" - Sea Wolf
I can't embed this video on the blog, so I just linked to it. The lyrics include “Old gypsy woman spoke to me, said, ‘You’re a wolf, boy, get out of this town.” The video seems to reference fairy tale wolves, and also mentions a gypsy woman, who is often the one to bring a curse upon someone in fairy tales. The video also has a taxidermied wolf and a woman in white running through a forest.
That's all I have for wolf songs. Next I'll finish up the fairy tale songs and move on to other children's literature & culture references. I'll try to post more frequently as well so that I can make some progress on this digital bibliography of allusions.

2 comments:

  1. I hate that Green Jelly song so much. I'm getting a rash just thinking about it.

    But you've done a great job with all of this, Mollie! Thanks for keeping up with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That one was pretty awful, and the animation wasn't even that good either.
    Thanks! It was a lot of fun to put together.

    ReplyDelete