Monday, April 2, 2012

Are you ready to Wrock?

"Wrock" in the title isn't a typo - this post is all about Wizard Rock, or Wrock! If you don't know what wizard rock is, here is an article that's pretty good, even if it's a few years old. There is also a documentary, but it looks like you have to buy it. Anyway, what I have selected for this is just a small sampling of songs about Harry Potter. There are tons more out there, by these bands and others. Wrock has a bunch of different sounds, and the songs can be serious or funny.

"Ode to Harry" - Switchblade Kittens

According to the article I linked to, this is the first Wrock song, and it was originally released in 2000. It's Ginny singing to Harry about her at-that-time unrequited love.

"Save Ginny" - Harry & the Potters
javascript:void(0)
Harry & the Potters is another famous wrock group. This song is about, as you can tell from the title, saving Ginny from the basilisk, and it includes the lines "Are you petrified/ of being petrified?"

"My Dad is Rich" - Draco & the Malfoys


I put these back-to-back because of how Harry and Draco are always set up as opposites. Here, Draco is doing what he does best in the early books: making fun of Harry and bragging about his dad.

"The Prince's Tale" - The Butterbeer Experience

So I'm not a fan of this song (I don't know if it's the girl's overdramatic vocals or what, but there's something that bugs me), but I included it because instead of a rock or indie sound like the others, this sounds like it could be from a Broadway musical, both in the backing track and in the way the lyrics tell a story. If the Marauders had a musical, this song would be in it.

"Welcome to Hogwarts" - Tonks & the Aurors


This song reminds me a little of Plumtree, at least "Scott Pilgrim" since that's their only song I've heard. From what I know, the lead singer of Tonks & the Aurors went to EMU at some point in time! This song is really catchy, and it's the students' first experience of Hogwarts.

"Seven Potters" - The Remus Lupins


The "Seven Potters" of the title are from Deathly Hallows when they use Polyjuice Potion to turn several of the kids into Harry to get him to the Burrow. It's a good song, and I like the video since it's black & white & because it looks like it's a play.

"Dumbledore is Gay and That's Okay" - Justin Finch-Fletchley & the Sugar Quills


I couldn't find any really good videos for Justin Finch-Fletchley & the Sugar Quills, but here's a better one. I really like the song because of the message behind it: "Dumbledore is gay/ and that's okay/ he's still the greatest freaking wizard/ of his day/ It doesn't matter anyway." This obviously came out after J.K. Rowling announced that Dumbledore was gay.

"End of An Era" - Oliver Boyd & the Remembralls

Wizard rock doesn't refer just to the books. This song discusses the fandom and its bittersweet feelings over the series ending. I love how this sounds! It's a little sad to recall the end, but the lyrics emphasize how it's still happy that we had the books.

"Lovegood" - Ministry of Magic

Confession time: I didn't listen to wizard rock until recently, despite being a Harry Potter nerd. My friend sent me this song, and the lyrics are just so cute! It sounds pretty good too. Here are my favorite lyrics:

“In the cellar you were tender to Ollivander
so perceptive and protective of those you love
Your truth is piercing but welcome in these confusing times
Some say you’re crazy, but I am crazy for those silver blue eyes”

Well, that's all I'm posting for Wrock, but there is a ton out there. I only included these to show and range and to hit on some of the important names that I know of. Coming up soon: Harry Potter song spoofs! There were so many good ones that I wanted to give them their own post.

1 comment:

  1. Wow--these are great! I saw Tonks & the Aurors on campus--they were really good. I think the Remus Lupins opened but I can't remember. Amy O. was there (dressed as Hermione).

    "The End of an Era" was really sweet!

    ReplyDelete