Monday, April 2, 2012

Young Adult Literature but mostly Hunger Games

I don't have any homework due for a couple of days, so I'm trying to get ahead on blog posts. The next topic is young adult literature, or literature aimed at teens. I almost gave The Hunger Games songs a separate post, but then there only would have been three young adult songs so they would've been sad. Let's start with the other stuff and then work our way to The Hunger Games.

"Lord of the Flies" - Iron Maiden


The title references William Golding's Lord of the Flies, which focuses on English schoolboys stranded on an island. It is a frequently challenged book, but it was in my high school's curriculum. There are a bunch more Lord of the Flies songs out there, but here's the one that someone listed. Anyway, here are some relevant lyrics that I feel relate best to the book:
Fate has brought us to these shores,
what was meant to be is now happening

I've found that I like this living in danger
Living on the edge it feels, it makes me feel as one
Who cares now what's right or wrong, it's reality
Killing so we survive wherever we may roam
Wherever we may hide, we've got to get away

"Tom Sawyer" - Rush

The title references Mark Twain's novel that features the same character. I haven't read the book, so I can't say whether or not the rest of the lyrics relate much.

"Who Wrote Holden Caulfield?" - Green Day

The title refers to Holden Caulfield of J.D. Salinger's Catcher in the Rye. I think the chorus relates to Holden:

“There’s a boy who fogs his world and now he’s getting lazy
there’s no motivation and frustration makes him crazy
He makes a plan to take a stand and always ends up sitting
Someone help him up or he’s gonna end up quitting”

Time for Hunger Games stuff!! This is all fan-made. I could include stuff from the CD "Songs from District 12 & Beyond" that they released before the movie, with songs inspired by the film, but I prefer the fan stuff. 2 are actually from artists I found relating to Wizard Rock, one more is a serious song, and I'll end with a spoof. Oh, and there are some spoilers for later books. Mostly in "Freedom in Panem." Just FYI.
"Girl on Fire" - Steph Anderson

Here's one from Steph Anderson, who is from Tonks & the Aurors and who I believe went to EMU at some point in time. The song is told from Katniss's perspective, and it's really catchy. The very beginning is "I never asked for this life/to be given to me/ I never knew that a person could be bought & sold/ But I am more than just a girl/ in a costume on a stage/ for you to control...." It goes on from there and it's just awesome!

"Freedom in Panem" - Alex Carpenter


I really love this song! It's from Alex Carpenter, who is the Remus Lupins in wizard rock. I like the rhythm of it, and the lyrics are cool too. Here are some lines from the beginning:
Stay alive is all that haymich said
He took another swig
And hoped the plan would go smoothly

May the odds ever be in yourfavor,
Heres a life to savor
I laugh at the irony

Alex Carpenter has a couple of Hunger Games albums I'm definitely going to check out soon!

"Girl On Fire" - Arshad

Here's a song that was introduced to me by a friend. I like the sound of it. It's told from Peeta's perspective and it's about Katniss. The lyrics include the famous line from Peeta, "She doesn't know. The effect she can have." It also talks about how Peeta wants his and Katniss's love to be real, and how he wants to stand against the Capitol. The full lyrics are here, I suggest checking them out.

"I Wanna Go" - Britney Spears, spoofed by Luke Conrad, Joey Graceffa, and Whitney Lee Milam


I had to end on a light note with a spoof. This one is hilarious, between Gale's emo hair and Katniss eating everything in sight. The lyrics are all included with the video.

Coming soon, maybe even tonight: Wizard Rock and Harry Potter spoof songs!! After that, some more childhood/adolescence stuff.

1 comment:

  1. "Tom Sawyer" just references the book and character (as far as I know).

    That's cool that Steph is doing HG stuff now!

    ReplyDelete