Tuesday, April 3, 2012

I'm Just a Kid

This second-to-last post has a bunch of songs about childhood and adolescence.

"The Boys of Fall" - Kenny Chesney

This song is about remembering time spent on the football field. Since I didn't play any sports as a kid, I don't feel this exactly, but I guess it's kind of like marching band in a way, just the camaraderie we had. Anyway, here are some lyrics:

“Well it’s turn and face the stars and stripes
It’s fightin’ back them butterflies
It’s call it in the air alright
Yes sir, we want the ball
And it’s knockin’ heads and talkin’ trash
It’s slingin’ mud and dirt and grass
It’s I got your number, I got your back, when you’re back’s against the wall
You mess with one many, you got us all
The boys of fall"
 "I'm Just a Kid" - Simple Plan

This song, which I heard in the movie Cheaper By the Dozen, is so adolescent to me. Here's the chorus, just to show how childish/teen-ish it sounds:
"I'm just a kid and life is a nightmare
I'm just a kid, I know that it's not fair
Nobody cares, cause I'm alone and the world is
Having more fun than me"

"Jack & Diane" - John Mellencamp

I thought of this song because of an episode of "Glee." They don't sing it, but one of the characters (Sam, who is played by Chord Overstreet) mentions the line "Hold onto sixteen as long as you can." He was saying it to Quinn (Dianna Agron) because she was trying to grow up too fast, when really we only have so much time in our lives so why not savor it? Anyway, I felt like that was the most relevant line, other than the song being about "two American kids doing the best that they can."

"Surrender" - Cheap Trick

Here's a song we talked about it class. The song is told from the point of a teenager, and the chorus is perfect for that age group:
"Your Mommy's all right
Your Daddy's all right
They just seem a little weird
Surrender
Surrender
But don't give yourself away"

"The Kids Don't Stand a Chance" - Vampire Weekend & "The Kids" - B.o.B. featuring Janelle Monae



These songs go together because the 2nd samples off the 1st. I love Vampire Weekend, so I like their version better, but I don't really get most of their lyrics anyway so I don't get what it has to do with adolescence, whereas the B.o.B. lyrics clearly related to adolescence. I have lyric videos for each song, which use the same melody.

"Life of a Salesman" - Yellowcard


I used to listen to Yellowcard a lot, and I really like this song now that I thought about it and have rediscovered it. It's very childlike - it's a boy (maybe a teen, but sounds younger to me) telling his father how he wants to be like him. Here is the chorus:
"Father I will always be
That same boy that stood by the sea
And watched you tower over me
Now I'm older I wanna be the same as you"

Well, the last post on here will be a hodge-podge of what I couldn't fit elsewhere. It won't be as long as most of my other posts.

2 comments:

  1. "The Kids Don't Stand a Chance"--does he really say "murdering their plants"?? The pin-striped suit line reminded me of Bobby's YA@EMU book selection (Return of the Dapper Men).

    "Jack and Diane"--That is a great line (about sixteen). Plus the next line is something like "Changes coming round real soon make us women and men." When I first heard this I was 11 or 12, and I thought the line was "Changes coming round real soon make us swimming and bend," like when you swim too much you get the bends.

    Also, you probably know this already but Cheaper By the Dozen was based on the book (which is worth a read, but I wouldn't run out to get it).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always thought in the Vampire Weekend song they said "murdering the plants" or something like that. I didn't think about the pinstriped suit thing! And I didn't know about the Cheaper by the Dozen book either. It seems like there also might have been an older movie of it, or something else about a huge family.

      Delete