Wednesday, May 1, 2013

"Girl on Fire"

For my first couple of posts back, I'm going with a Hunger Games theme since it's one of my favorites, and since the music that inspired me to post again is connected to this series.

"Girl on Fire" - Alicia Keys

If you're familiar with Suzanne Collins's Hunger Games trilogy, you'll know that the heroine is called "Katniss, the Girl Who Was on Fire" by her stylist Cinna. When I first heard the name of this song, my mind immediately went to Katniss. According to the Wikipedia page for the album the song comes from (which shares the name), it was released in November 2012, so several months after the first Hunger Games movie was released in theaters. In looking up that page, I just learned that the title is actually a nod the Katniss! (I would include a link to the source article that was used on Wikipedia, but I can't get that article to work.) But I think it can be applied to almost any woman - it's a very positive, "girl power" kind of song. But a lot of it can be applied to Katniss, especially the flame imagery used. Part of the second verse stands out in particular to me in terms of Katniss-like qualities:

Looks like a girl, but she's a flame
So bright she can burn your eyes,
Better look the other way
You can try but you'll never forget her name

I actually really like this song, especially as it was performed by Naya Rivera on "Glee" (which is where I first heard the full song). Also check out the "Bluelight" version for a slightly different spin on it by Keys (a different, more improvised vocal style and less drums).

"Last Hope" - Paramore


This post originally just had "Girl on Fire," but this song is one of my favorites from Paramore's new album and I've been thinking about it a lot. It also connects a lot to the way Katniss feels throughout the series, especially toward the end. I almost added this to the Mockingjay soundtrack post (which is coming next), but that is already pretty Paramore-heavy and long so I added this to this post. It's sort of a sad song, with its first lines being "I don't even know myself at all/ I thought I would be happy by now." But it's ultimately hopeful with the repetition of "Gonna let it happen" (instead of trying to control uncontrollable things) and with the chorus:

It's just a spark, but it's enough
to keep me going
And when it's dark out, no one's around,
It keeps glowing.

The spark imagery for the part of someone that keeps on going no matter what happens connects with Katniss's identity as the Girl on Fire. I relate it also with the way Katniss doesn't stop, no matter how bad she is hurting; even if she wants to escape for a moment, she gets back to doing what she needs to do in Panem's revolution. The thing that keeps her going is her family, especially Prim and Peeta, who has a closer relationship with her than almost anyone else and who is the one she is ultimately left with.

Next up: the previously mentioned Mockingjay soundtrack/playlist!

No comments:

Post a Comment