Monday, April 2, 2012

Children's Books

This post will focus on songs that reference children's books that haven't already been covered on this blog. It's kind of a hodge-podge, but they're based on either picture books or novels for younger readers (there will be a separate post for Young Adult Literature, and Harry Potter and maybe even Hunger Games will get their own posts). Anyway, let's get to the music!

"Baobabs" - Regina Spektor


This song is a reference to The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery. I haven't read it, but the person who listed it in their list of allusions says that the baobabs are in it. Here are some lyrics:
I don't have my thorns now
But I feel them sprouting
They'll grow right through if I don't watch them
They'll grow right through even if I watch them
And a sunset couldn't save me now
These baobabs, and baobabs, and baobabs some more

"Mowgli's Road" - Marina and the Diamonds

I'm not going to lie, this music video creeps me out. The arms and legs look weird, due to puppetry or video editing or something and it's just really strange. Anyway, the title references Rudyard Kipling's The Jungle Book.

"Humble Mumble" - OutKast
I'm only linking to this one because it has the N-word in it. It references The Little Engine that Could, which was one of my favorite picture books as a kid. The beginning has a spoken part that alludes to the book and changes it up:
 Ahhhh I stank I can, I stank I can
The funky engine that could
Oooo oooo yosky, wosky, pisky, wisky
All aboard the Stankonia Express
The underground smell road
Everybody's lookin' for an excuse to let loose
What's your locomotive, the chatter and the choo choo




"Peter Rabbit" - Dee Jay & the Runaways

The title is an obvious reference to The Tale of Peter Rabbit by Beatrix Potter. Here are some relevant lyrics that reference more than just Peter Rabbit:

“Peter Rabbit and Little Boy Blue
Hidden in the Brush with Mr. Magoo
Along came McDonald with his trusty gun
And he goes, everybody run”

"The Other Side" - Bruno Mars featuring Cee Lo Green & B.o.B.

The relevant lyrics come from a rap a little over halfway through the song. Alice in Wonderland, The Chronicles of Narnia, and Frankenstein (not children's lit., I know, but it's literary so I included it) are all mentioned:
 If They Say Life's A Dream
Call This Insomnia
Cause This Ain't Wonderland
It Damn Sure Ain't Narnia
And Once You Cross The Line
You Can't Change Your Mind
Yeah I'm A Monster
But I'm Not Frankenstein

Coming up: songs that reference young adult literature, and then Harry Potter songs and maybe Hunger Games if I give it its own post. Fun stuff up ahead!

1 comment:

  1. Cool! I've heard none of these before. I'm out of the loop!

    ReplyDelete