Monday, April 2, 2012

Fun & Games!

Breaking away from children's literature for a post (I'm trying to write something up quick between classes), this post focuses on children's culture, particularly children's products - food, toys, etc. Here we go:

"We Care a Lot" - Faith No More


The title references Care Bears, and I think Transformers and Garbage Pail Kids are also mentioned. Also, as I noticed when this was played in class, this is the theme song for "Dirty Jobs," which, if you don't know, is a show on Discovery Channel that is pretty hilarious.

"Barbie Girl" - Aqua


The title is pretty clear, right? Lines include "Life in plastic/It's fantastic!/You can brush my hair/ Undress me everywhere...." It's fairly sexual, which I didn't totally catch when I was in elementary school and we'd go to the local roller rink and they'd play this.

"Shoots and Ladders" - Korn


So this song could really go under Nursery Rhymes since it mentions Ring Around the Rosie and other nursery rhymes and children's song games, but I put it here due to the title and because I wanted more than 3 songs for this post. It's a play on Chutes & Ladders, the children's game that I know is also called Snakes & Ladders sometimes.

" 'Bout to Get Fruit Punched, Homie" - The Wonder Years

I made sure to find a version of this that didn't show the cover because it's kind of disturbing. Anyway, This song is about a fight between the Kool-Aid Man and Cap'n Crunch over Kool-Aid Man's wife (Kool-Aid Woman?). Here are some lyrics:

I was peddling sugary drinks to all the little kids for weeks,
spending late nights at the factory,
making fat stacks for my family,
but now my wife's been getting shady.
That trick-ass mark don't call me baby.
I'll sit by the window sill and if she's got another man,
then juice will spill.

Well, I hope you enjoyed that slight deviation from everything else that's been on the blog so far. Now I'm off to eat some Cap'n Crunch! (Not really, though I do have a box of Chocolate Cap'n Crunch I just opened and it's really good!)

No comments:

Post a Comment